The job of the evangelist is not done until the evangelized becomes the evangelist.
Free faith-sharing tools for horse lovers
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:16-17 KJVR

Evangelism is nothing more than one beggar telling another beggar where to find food.

Free faith-sharing tools for the workplace

Friday, May 27, 2011

Brothers building Brothers

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.  For by it the elders obtained a good testimony.  Hebrews 1:1

I love the consistency of the word of God.  In the book of James the bibles says that “faith without works is dead”, and for those like me who believe in salvation by grace alone through faith alone there is always going to be that tension that must exist in the area of faith and works.  Hebrews 1:1 has helped me take a giant leap toward resolving the “apparent “conflict.

The question that came to my mind this time as I read this passage was: “How can faith be evidence?”  Faith itself is really not visible, is it?  What a revelation! Yes it is.  I have spent a rather significant amount of time during my ministry career explaining how salvation is by faith alone, and yet it must be accompanied by the requisite works to be valid faith; when all time it seems I missed the biblical definition of faith all together.

Some will call me a heretic, but I’ll risk it, when I say faith and work are one in the same according to the biblical definition.  Faith is substance and faith is evidence.  By faith Able offered his sacrifice and by it the evidence was conclusive that “he was righteous” (vs.4).  By faith Enoch walked with God and God took him (Gen 5:24) leaving behind the evidence that “he pleased God” (vs.5).  By faith Noah prepared an Ark providing evidence that he had inherited righteousness (vs.7).  By faith Abraham obeyed and we know the evidence of righteousness he left behind.

In each case faith was a substantive thing an evidence of righteousness; faith and works are one in the same.  Uh oh; do I feel a conviction coming on?  Why would I ever have a difficulty with the relationship of faith and works?  Could it be that the problem lies in the fact that I am trying to excuse my inactivity?  Could I be trying to excuse the fact that many times my faith is barely visible?  Paul tells us to examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith.  According to Hebrews my faith should be the evidence!

Stepping on my own toes again,
Your brother Jack

No comments: